Tropical Biosphere Research Center (TBRC), University of the Ryukyus
Application Guidelines for Joint Usage and Collaborative Research in FY2021
As a certified research center for joint usage and collaborative research supported by the MEXT, JAPAN, involving studies conducted on biospheres in tropical and subtropical zones, our purpose is to promote and develop research collaborations among researchers in Japan and overseas in the relevant fields.
Here, we are pleased to welcome your applications and promote collaborative research projects taking advantage of TBRC facilities located in the Ryukyu Islands, and also to provide opportunities for research meetings using our facilities.
Unfortunately, since the spread of COVID-19 has been growing in Japan and overseas, 90% of accepted collaborative researches in FY2020 have to be postponed to FY2021. Therefore, within the range of budget, we can only accept a few new Collaborative Researches for young researchers in FY2021. We apologize for any inconvenience and ask for your understanding on this point.
The adopter in FY2020 those who will postpone the research in FY2021 is required to check the web-site and submit the Application Forms if necessary. In that case, the name of project cannot be changed and research expense has to be less than the grant amount.
1. Categories for Applications
(for Young researchers)
|Collaborative research conducted by young researchers with faculty members of TBRC||Support in the form of travel expenses with an upper limit of 250,000 yen||Form A|
*Support Expenses can cover travel expenses only. Other expenses, e.g. shipment, boat charter, and consumables are not applicable. Used expenses will be reimbursed regularly after we receive all the receipts, boarding passes, etc. Travel expenses will be paid based on the regulations of University of the Ryukyus, e.g. daily allowance ; 2,200 yen, accommodation charge ; 10,400 yen, etc. There is an exception so please contact us for more details.
2. Eligibility for application
Applicants must be young researchers (40 years old or younger on April 1, 2021) who belong to national or private universities, national or public research institutes in Japan and overseas, or those who hold equivalent positions (including part-time researchers, post-doctoral research fellows and predoctoral/graduate students).
If applicants are graduate students, the application must fulfil the following requirements.
- Supervisors/advisors of the applicants are responsible for research activities in our facilities,
- and must approve the application from students by signing or sealing in the form of a written consent. TBRC may demand compensation for any damages caused by the applicants from the supervisors/advisors.
- The applicants need to have an insurance for student education and research covering disaster and accidents during research activities conducted at TBRC. A pdf copy of the insurance certificate must be attached upon submission.
- A pdf copy of a student registration certificate must be attached upon submission.
- In case of changes of the student status including a change of a supervisor/advisor, be sure to inform of the details to the Research Promotion Section, University of the Ryukyus immediately and resubmit the written consent, which will be reviewed to judge the acceptance of the research proposal again.
If applicants are to be accompanied by other researchers (including graduate students), the use of travel expenses will be accepted only if the applicants concerned take responsibility for the activities of such accompanying researchers at TRBC. Please note that undergraduate students are not eligible for travel expenses.
3. Duration of Joint Usage
The period of joint usage shall commence from April 1, 2021 and end on March 20, 2022.
4. How to apply
(1) Please consult with a faculty member of TBRC in the relevant field and laboratory of your choice (see TBRC homepage) prior to submitting your application. Upon application, please register your user information and log onto the online application platform from the URL given below. Select an appropriate category of application and input all required fields for your research proposal.
(2) A PDF file of a written consent with your own and your Director’s signatures need to be uploaded. If an applicant is a graduate student, a signature and a seal of the applicant’s supervisor/advisor are also required. Only the written consent can be accepted until one week later the deadline of research proposals.
(3) A confirmation notification will be sent by email from the Research Promotion Section, University of the Ryukyus upon receipt of your application. If you do not receive confirmation after one week of submitting your application, please be sure to contact us.
Be sure that one researcher (or graduate student) may apply only one proposal. Multiple applications from the same researcher may be declined.
5. Application Deadline
Application forms must be submitted via the online system from Dec 1, 2020 to Jan 8, 2021..
(1) For general procedures:
Research Promotion Section, Joint Usage Facilities Liaison, General Strategic Planning Division, University of the Ryukyus
1 Senbaru, Nishihara-cho, Nakagami-gun, Okinawa 903-0213 JAPAN
(2) For online application system:
e-mail: email@example.com (The Institute of Statistical Mathematics)
Decisions on selection will be made by the Steering Committee of TBRC, which will be notified via email by the Director of TBRC.
8. Submission of Reports, Presentation of Theses, etc.
(1) Successful applicants should submit a prescribed report on the online application system by Mar 31, 2022.
(2) The content of submitted reports will be included in the Annual Report of TBRC.
(3) When publishing results of your research, please include a note of acknowledgement (see the example below) mentioning that the results of your research were achieved through joint usage and collaborative research at TBRC. Please also send copies of the publication to the above postal or email address of the Research promotion Section (Photocopies or electronic data are also acceptable. Please send 2 copies in the case of paper reprints).
This study was supported by the Collaborative Research of Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus.
9. Other Matters
(1) Please contact the faculty member in your field regarding equipment available at TBRC.
(2) Successful applicants must abide by the university rules and regulations. Please pay special attention to The University of the Ryukyus Policy on the Handling of Tangible Research Materials with regards to the taking out of samples, specimens and other materials from your research. For details, please contact your supporting faculty member.